Today, Dicomm McCann joins the Econet Wireless family as it celebrates 20 years of operations. It seems like yesterday when the first call was made on the Econet network on 10 July 1998 yet two decades have already passed.
From the very first campaign we paced the floors of our studio, crafting copy and creating designs that we felt would best communicate the Econet story. Each brief brought us into the shoes of the client and got us to see things the way they did and still do.
At Dicomm McCann, we are elated by this milestone not because we have been tasked to develop the integrated communication campaign for these celebrations but because of the journey we have walked with the Econet brand for the past 20 years. We can’t help but remember how we have been privileged to work on this prestigious brand from when it was formed till now.
As the Econet brand story has been coming out, Dicomm McCann has also been able to carve its name as brand builders in Zimbabwe and beyond. Along the journey, some of our involvement has been:
- To develop the first Econet logo and first campaign “Your Cellular network” in 1998 and subsequently a campaign that saw Econet being listed on the Zimbabwe Stock Exchange in its first year of operation
- Developing the Econet “Inspired to change your world” campaign in 2004 which is used by the brand in all countries where it has operations
- Developed probably the biggest consumer brand in the history of Zimbabwe, Buddie and the campaign “Through ups and downs, you’ve got a friend”
- Been working on the EcoCash brand since launch and in the process that product has become a necessity to every Zimbabwean. It was voted the Best Mobile money in Africa by GMSA, 2017 in Barcelona Madrid
- Developed the current thematic campaign – Look Up and the new Econet logo in 2015.
Looking at the impact that the Econet brand has been able to make in Zimbabwe and beyond, it’s humbling to realize that we have been part of this story, helping and supporting from a creative point of view. To quote the Econet Group CEO in his message to the Econet family about the 20 year celebrations; “Looking back, we thank God, looking around, we see the hand of God. Looking ahead, we trust God”
Watch this space, we will be sharing more nuggets of our experience with the Econet brand.